The Dixie Wax Paper Factory
Steeped in History
Louie C. Kimple and William H. Bryce developed waxing technology for food preservation in the back of their Dallas warehouse in 1922 with the first use of refrigeration to cool waxed paper. Dixie Wax Paper Company became one of America’s leading companies, and quickly outgrew their first small plant in Oak Cliff.
Original steel windows were uncovered at the S Polk front façade, which had been bricked over on the exterior and framed over on the interior. An accessible entry was added to front of the building, along with a canopy on the north side, providing a covered walkway adjacent to DART Tyler Vernon Station.
An 18’-0” structural grid throughout the structure guided decisions about tenant locations and separations. Original steel sliding fire doors remain in place and many pieces of machinery extracted from the building have been repurposed on the site.
Rebranded as Tyler Station, the former factory site has been adapted for mixed-use and serves as a neighborhood hub for creative or start-up businesses.